Mountain Biking - Adventure - Development
".. I’d highly recommend Real World Riding to anyone looking to having an awesome time on the bike "
About Real world riding
Real World Riding is a Mountain Bike Coaching and Guiding service. Our ethos is based on years of development training:
"Many of us have already got the next level of skill inside us; we just haven't developed the confidence to let it out yet."
We're based in Central Scotland, a fantastic place to be as a rider as our Mountainbiking in Scotland article spells out.
what you'll find here
While the professional Guiding and Coaching available is our primary focus, you'll find under the 'Articles' section a range of articles supporting riders of all abilities as well as aspiring leaders too.
We aim to enthuse and inspire as well as develop riders and organisations
Who Are We?
Real World Riding vs Covid-19
UPDATED STATEMENT 7th July 2020
Following the Scottish Government's advisory statement, advice from SportScotland and Scottish Cycling, RWR began to offer limited coaching and guiding from Monday 4th July.
RWR is now proudly registered with the National Tourism Agency's 'Good To Go' Covid Aware Providers scheme.
Following an updated review of our Covid-19 policies (please see link below), we are currently operating in the following manner:
- Bespoke and private clients, and soon to include published open rides with small groups
- Coaching and Guiding Ratios of:
- 1:1 with Adults
- 1:2 with youth (with a parent)
- Up to 1:7 with groups from one or two households - (you and your riding buddy fit this category)
Worth Noting is:
- Some techniques for coaching some skills will need to be modified to maintain distancing
- We ask, where possible, clients bring masks and handgel with them, although both will be available
- Evening sessions, half day and full day sessions are all available.
- Cycling Scotland 'Essential Cycling' days are also available to anyone beginning commuting that would like a 1:1 training day on practical commuting skills - please ask.
There is much more information in the Covid 19 policy - please click the button below if you are interested in getting involved.
And also: I've discovered ZOOM, which is an excellent tool for discussing plans with folks 'face-to-face' to help make sure the best day is planned for you too.
Please be aware that we may still be advised to 'tone it down' for the sake of emergency services and MRT's, but there are some amazing places to visit without sticking our necks out!
This week may see the addition of larger groups, but currently we envisage running smaller groups only due to social distancing and the need to not have clients 'strung' out all along a trail.
As an idea, the planned range of guided and coached days for 2020 is a little further down the page, just to get you a little excited - just scroll down.
Stay safe everyone, look after yourselves, and be well. See you soon! Steve
The RWR Covid protection Infographic is available to all, not just our clients - communicate easy ways to keep riders safer in a mixed household group
real world guiding & Coaching
Real World Riding offers British Cycling Qualified and experienced guiding, and instruction, and technical advice to take you to the next level or just take you on a great journey.
A range of courses are available for developing your skillset, head for the Guiding and Coaching pages to find out more.
Upcoming Dates for Guiding and Coaching:
We offer pro guiding and coaching throughout the year. Here's some examples of the type of 'stuff' we do:
Small groups, fantastic routes, and well looked after - "just enjoy the riding"
We publish short films of the work of Real World Riding on the Facebook page, check it out from here, and sign up to be kept in the loop with the latest courses dates and info as we publish.
Evening Coaching Sessions
Central Belt based these sessions are built around the needs of the riders. At £10 a session these are a great way to enjoy an evening of biking while developing an aspect of your riding. These are currently on hold due to restrictions on numbers and households. All details of these evenings will be found on the facebook page .
Spring and Summer 2020 Day Events: This was plan A: - most of these (and others!)are available privately however.
- Beginners coaching day - Callendar Wood Falkirk - All the basic skills to give your mountain biking skillset a solid base; braking, cornering, body position, bike set-up £50pp 1:6 Max
- Glen Kinglass Big Day Out - An epic XC day out over 50km of remote track and trail between Tyndrum and Loch Etive. Transport back to Tyndrum supplied (van for bikes, train for riders) included. 1:5 £60pp
- 'Round' of Ben Alder - From Dalwhinnie ride around Ben Alder and back on an epic ride with loads of singletrack, high passes, a crashed WWII Bomber, stunning views, possibly the longest carry of your life, some bog trotting, a dodgy bridge, and an amazing long flowy singletrack descent from a high mountain lochan - it's epic in every way, and epically rewarding too. £60pp Max 1:5.
- Drive the bike - don't ride it. Half coached session on creating flow and using the trail more purposefully and half putting it into practice on the red and blue flow trails at Glentress - descend the Blue like you've never done before £50pp 1:6
- Intro to Bike-packing - a very basic ride out for all riding standards, and camp overnight with kit for camping, and bivvying. A more technical option for a short ride on day 2 or simple ride to return. Any bike will do and a sleeping bag, foam mat and a rucksack will suffice. Some bike packing frame bags are available for lending for the earlier bookers, stoves provided. £80pp max 1:5 ratio
- Ben Lomond 1:4, £60pp for solid red grade and black grade riders
- Intro to Steeps - 1:4 for red grade riders, Coaching using the black loop at Beecraigs to look at technique on steeper ground and gaining confidence.
- Angus Glens epic - Glen Doll to Loch Muick with 2 amazing descents and potentially one Munro for those inclined for red grade riders - 1:4 £60 each
- Green Mile and Heartbreak Ridge - Ballater Classics - 2 classic classic routes with flow, moorland ridges, and granite slabs! - Max 1:5, £55 each
- Torridon and the North West - Based just outside Torridon we'll pick the best of the riding in this amazing area and the surrounding areas for a week of big mountain riding in, over, and amongst the wonderful scenery of the West Coast. .
- Developing Skills for the Trails; coaching session - Beginning to Jump, clearing drop-offs, starting to Manual, cornering to retain speed, pumping for free speed - Developing flow and taking control of the trail - At Glentress, mostly on-piste 1:5 £70pp for the day.
- Big Borders Crossing - The Thieves road. Take your riding in the Tweed Valley away from the trail centres and out onto the moors. This ride takes a big loop across the Borders from N of Peebles over remote valleys, remoter estate tracks toward Beattock and returns via big hills, open moorland singletrack and unmarked trail and rapid fire road descents over about 40km of XC riding for those with the fitness and with skill for riding blues and reds. 1:5 £60pp
- Start Jumping - Half day intro to jumping technique at Beecraigs in the skills area. Start to get controlled air and build your confidence in a controlled environment and join the RWR Flight School. Max 1:5 £50pp
- Intro to Enduro - Dunkeld. Over 3 legs of Enduro trails we'll look at technique for riding both the trails and the events in a format allowing riders to sample the whole experience in a relaxed developmental and informative way. For red trail riders either wanting to get off-piste more, or thinking of riding their first Enduro. 1:4 £60pp
- Ben Lawers and Stob Glas - Lawers Range - Mountain Biking at Its purest - 1:3 £70pp - firm red riders and black riders with some mountain experience
- Lawers Range - Bag 2 munros on this mad ride Meall Corranaich and Meall a Choire Leath - push up the first Munro (May as well admit to it) and then ride the remote ridge round the tops, past Ben Lawers and weave our way down back to the start - I can guarantee riders will be amongst the few to have ridden this route! It's brilliant. 1:4 £60 each
- Pitlochry trail sampler - Ride from Pitlochry to Moulin, then on paths to the foot of Ben Y Vrackie, and on down to Killiecrankie, then back to Pitlochry alongside the beautiful river. Getting back to Pitlochry then allows us to unlock the other side of the valley above the A9 in a good trail climb, moorland ride and fast forest track back to town again. Suitable for blue trail riders with a yearning to ride bigger trails. 1:5 £50pp
- Ben MacDui from Ballater - Need I say more. You will need to be hill fit and a confident red grade rider to really enjoy this, but it is epic and if we're blessed with good weather, so are the views. 1:4 £70pp
- Big day out on Burnside at Aviemore - Ride the awesome off-piste trails on offer in the woods on Burnside and high Burnside above Aviemore - suitable for red riders of all levels of comfort. Develop your comfort with steep trail with trees in it while riding this lovely area for a big day out. 1:4 £50
- Glen Feshie Munros - Sgorr Gaoith offers several descent options including 'bagging' Carn Mor Dearg on the way back to the valley - For Red Riders 1:5 £60 (or £50 if combined with the burnside day on Saturday)
Private Coaching & Guiding - Please enquire
Available year round, weekday and weekend
For More information or to book - please use the contact-us page
More information on these events can be found in the Professional Pages (just click on one of the links on this page) as well as kit lists etc. An information sheet will be given nearer the date for the Big Days Out.
Real World Riding Articles
Follow the link to find articles on all aspects of riding from finding out about Enduro racing to selecting your first bike and even psychology for the rider
Give the Gift of Mountain Biking
Give a voucher for a coaching session or a guided ride - various values available, as well as whole day experiences for one or two people
After a lot of cycling locally I discovered quite a bit of quality singletrack. This popularvideo highlights a 27km route around Clackmannanshire, home of RWR.
Links and short videos are being added on the facebook page, and there's a drip-feed of mechanical videos appearing on the Youtube channel to assist new and developing riders
Slightly subjective article - a choice of the top 10 mountain biking bits of kit. What things would you take off the list? what things should be in there? - get in touch via the facebook post
From the basics of what to carry for the first time, so exploring different ways of packing your bike, some of the different ways of packing, shelters and stoves, as well as some of the psychological tricks useful on big trips
We only keep the last 4 items of news on the front page, so follow the links in the menu at the top to read more articles, watch more films, catch up on the latest reviews, check out the latest from Real World Racing, or find out about training or guiding.
If you'd like to contact RWR for any reason, please click here