Mountain Biking - Adventure - Development
".. I’d highly recommend Real World Riding to anyone looking to having an awesome time on the bike "
About Real world riding
Real World Riding is a Mountain Bike Coaching and Guiding service. Our ethos is based on years of development training:
"Many of us have already got the next level of skill inside us; we just haven't developed the confidence to let it out yet."
We're based in Central Scotland, a fantastic place to be as a rider as our Mountainbiking in Scotland article spells out.
what you'll find here
While the professional Guiding and Coaching available is our primary focus, you'll find under the 'Articles' section a range of articles supporting riders of all abilities as well as aspiring leaders too.
We aim to enthuse and inspire as well as develop riders and organisations
Who Are We?
Real World Riding vs Covid-19
In the current circumstances, it is not possible for us to run any biking activity, so on the 20th March, Real World Riding moved remit slightly to support those who are also currently unable to bike without guiding or coaching activity. As such, the website is quite static, but there are other outlets:
- Twitter - this has become more personal, getting involved in the biking community as a rider
- Instagram - this has slowed down a lot, but there will be series of photos coming up, and
- Facebook - this is much more active, sharing videos, articles, fun stuff and information as well as the occasional post encouraging riders and supporting keeping active and being ready for when we are released sometime.
Personal Note from Steve:
It's great to hear so much support within the biking community and to see so much enthusiasm. Many folks are aware that Bike Guiding and Coaching is one of the ways I earn a crust, and in fact there are 4 main ways. Two (Real World Riding being one) have just stopped, but I still have two part time contracts, one of which is ongoing, the other has been furloughed. I am fortunate in having a diverse income which is currently supporting me. Please bear a thought for those who don't.
I'm using my time training on the Turbo, and rebuilding the cave as a workshop. I am determined (and encourage others) to see the opportunity in this, to work hard , and try to use every day as an opportunity to learn, exercise, develop, and be thankful for what we have.
I am grateful to those of you in key roles, RWR Clients have counted NHS Staff, teachers, care workers, food delivery drivers amongst others, and I am personally grateful to you all, and hope to see you soon. I have also been blessed with a handful of overseas clients, and I wish you all well wherever you are.
Stay safe everyone, look after yourselves, and be well.
See you on the other side!
The programme set out in the spring for the rest of the year, will remain on the front page. Obviously it's not running, but if there's something there you want to do, when this is all over please get in touch. I will try to get a group together, or you can simply ask me to bespoke the trip on dates that suit.
real world guiding & Coaching
Real World Riding offers British Cycling Qualified and experienced guiding, and instruction, and technical advice to take you to the next level or just take you on a great journey.
A range of courses are available for developing your skillset, head for the Guiding and Coaching pages to find out more.
Upcoming Dates for Guiding and Coaching:
We offer pro guiding and coaching throughout the year. Here's some examples of the type of 'stuff' we do:
Small groups, fantastic routes, and well looked after - "just enjoy the riding"
We publish short films of the work of Real World Riding on the Facebook page, check it out from here, and sign up to be kept in the loop with the latest courses dates and info as we publish.
Evening Coaching Sessions
Central Belt based these sessions are built around the needs of the riders. As soon as the evenings are light enough they will be listed here and announced on the facebook page - sign up on facebook to grab a place and pay on the evening £10 a session. Areas for coaching are discussed with riders, so the programme develops as we go to address what people want to focus on.
Spring and Summer 2020 Day Events: Please book in advance
- Saturday 21st - Vallelujah - If you're riding on your own - come join the slowly growing RWR 'Team' at this fantastic event - all are of course welcome, and we're riding for fun - just use your mobile to get in touch 07958782899
- Sunday 22nd - Beginners coaching day - Callendar Wood Falkirk - All the basic skills to give your mountain biking skillset a solid base; braking, cornering, body position, bike set-up £50pp 1:6 Max - 10am - 4pm - FULL
- Saturday 28th - Glen Kinglass Big Day Out - An epic XC day out over 50km of remote track and trail between Tyndrum and Loch Etive. Transport back to Tyndrum supplied (van for bikes, train for riders) included. There is a film on the YouTube channel. 1:5 £60pp 08:30am to 6:30pm - Bookings being taken
- Saturday 4th - 'Round' of Ben Alder - From Dalwhinnie ride around Ben Alder and back on an epic ride with loads of singletrack, high passes, a crashed WWII Bomber, stunning views, possibly the longest carry of your life, some bog trotting, a dodgy bridge, and an amazing long flowy singletrack descent from a high mountain lochan - it's epic in every way, and epically rewarding too. £60pp Max 1:5. Bookings being taken
- Sunday 5th - Drive the bike - don't ride it. Half coached session on creating flow and using the trail more purposefully and half putting it into practice on the red and blue flow trails at Glentress - descend the Blue like you've never done before £50pp 1:6
- Monday and Tuesday 13th and 14th - Intro to Bike-packing - a very basic ride out for all riding standards, and camp overnight with kit for camping, and bivvying. A more technical option for a short ride on day 2 or simple ride to return. Any bike will do and a sleeping bag, foam mat and a rucksack will suffice. Some bike packing frame bags are available for lending for the earlier bookers, stoves provided. £80pp max 1:5 ratio
- Saturday 25th - Ben Lomond 1:4, £60pp for solid red grade and black grade riders
- Sunday 26th - Intro to Steeps - 1:4 for red grade riders, Coaching using the black loop at Beecraigs to look at technique on steeper ground and gaining confidence. FULL
- Saturday 16th - Angus Glens epic - Glen Doll to Loch Muick with 2 amazing descents and potentially one Munro for those inclined for red grade riders - 1:4 £60 each - see the films and the factsheet
- Sunday 17th - Green Mile and Heartbreak Ridge - Ballater Classics - 2 classic classic routes with flow, moorland ridges, and granite slabs! - Max 1:5, £55 each - see the films
- Monday 1st - Saturday 6th - Torridon and the North West - Based just outside Torridon we'll pick the best of the riding in this amazing area and the surrounding areas for a week of big mountain riding in, over, and amongst the wonderful scenery of the West Coast. Times, exact dates and price TBC, but please get in touch if you are interested.
- Sunday 14th - Developing Skills for the Trails; coaching session - Beginning to Jump, clearing drop-offs, starting to Manual, cornering to retain speed, pumping for free speed - Developing flow and taking control of the trail - At Glentress, mostly on-piste 1:5 £70pp for the day.
- Saturday 20th - Big Borders Crossing - The Thieves road. Take your riding in the Tweed Valley away from the trail centres and out onto the moors. This ride takes a big loop across the Borders from N of Peebles over remote valleys, remoter estate tracks toward Beattock and returns via big hills, open moorland singletrack and unmarked trail and rapid fire road descents over about 40km of XC riding for those with the fitness and with skill for riding blues and reds. 1:5 £60pp
- Sunday 21st - Start Jumping - Half day intro to jumping technique at Beecraigs in the skills area. Start to get controlled air and build your confidence in a controlled environment and join the RWR Flight School. Max 1:5 £50pp
- Sunday 28th - Intro to Enduro - Dunkeld. Over 3 legs of Enduro trails we'll look at technique for riding both the trails and the events in a format allowing riders to sample the whole experience in a relaxed developmental and informative way. For red trail riders either wanting to get off-piste more, or thinking of riding their first Enduro. 1:4 £60pp
- Saturday 11th - Ben Lawers and Stob Glas - Lawers Range - Mountain Biking at Its purest - 1:3 £70pp - firm red riders and black riders with some mountain experience
- Sunday 12th - Off-piste at Dunkeld - A guided ride around the 3 hills around Dunkeld on red and black graded 'Enduro' trails 1:4 £60pp
- Saturday 25th - Lawers Range - Bag 2 munros on this mad ride Meall Corranaich and Meall a Choire Leath - push up the first Munro (May as well admit to it) and then ride the remote ridge round the tops, past Ben Lawers and weave our way down back to the start - I can guarantee riders will be amongst the few to have ridden this route! It's brilliant - see the facebook video on the page. 1:4 £60 each
- Sunday 26th - Pitlochry trail sampler - Ride from Pitlochry to Moulin, then on paths to the foot of Ben Y Vrackie, and on down to Killiecrankie, then back to Pitlochry alongside the beautiful river. Getting back to Pitlochry then allows us to unlock the other side of the valley above the A9 in a good trail climb, moorland ride and fast forest track back to town again. Suitable for blue trail riders with a yearning to ride bigger trails. 1:5 £50pp
- Sunday 9th - Ben MacDui from Ballater - Need I say more. You will need to be hill fit and a confident red grade rider to really enjoy this, but it is epic and if we're blessed with good weather, so are the views. 1:4 £70pp
- Saturday 5th - Big day out on Burnside at Aviemore - Ride the awesome off-piste trails on offer in the woods on Burnside and high Burnside above Aviemore - suitable for red riders of all levels of comfort. Develop your comfort with steep trail with trees in it while riding this lovely area for a big day out. 1:4 £50
- Sunday 6th - Glen Feshie Munros - Sgorr Gaoith offers several descent options including 'bagging' Carn Mor Dearg on the way back to the valley - For Red Riders 1:5 £60 (or £50 if combined with the burnside day on Saturday)
Private Coaching & Guiding - Please enquire
Available year round, weekday and weekend
Some limited transport may be available on many of these trips and days out - starting in Alloa - Get in touch.
For More information or to book - please use the contact-us page
More information on all of these events will be on the facebook page (events)
More information on these events can be found in the Professional Pages (just click on one of the links on this page) as well as kit lists etc. An information sheet will be given nearer the date for the Big Days Out.
Real World Riding Articles
Follow the link to find articles on all aspects of riding from finding out about Enduro racing to selecting your first bike and even psychology for the rider
Give the Gift of Mountain Biking
Give a voucher for a coaching session or a guided ride - various values available, as well as whole day experiences for one or two people
Hiring a full-suss ebike for a week was a real learning experience, here's my thoughts and findings from a week ebiking exploring a new area
In partnership with Metro Outdoors we've now launched the youth development coaching sessions - currently bespoke coaching for young racers in support of their progression along the British Cycling performance pathway
Open evenings, a 3 evening improvers course and some big days out are launched on the site and on facebook. On Youtube we've published several videos from recent travels to Wales, Canada, and the Scottish Highlands too
Spring Open Courses are launched with dates in March, April and May, showcasing the new coached course syllabus as well as the new Navigation Skills day and Trailside repair session
We only keep the last 4 items of news on the front page, so follow the links in the menu at the top to read more articles, watch more films, catch up on the latest reviews, check out the latest from Real World Racing, or find out about training or guiding.
If you'd like to contact RWR for any reason, please click here